Here’s how to install and start trading on, the world’s most popular platform, MetaTrader 4. We’ll take you step-by-step through:
To install MetaTrader 4 for Windows:
- Double-click on the downloaded installation file.
- Read the License Agreement. If you agree, click the checkbox next to Yes, I agree with all the terms of the license agreement. Click Next.
- Choose the folder where the program will be installed. If you want to use the suggested folder, click Next. If not, click Browse, choose a folder, and click Next.
- In the next window, select a group in the Programs menu. Click Next.
- Click Next to install the MetaTrader trading platform, or click Back if you need to change anything. Now, all you have to do is wait until the program has been installed on your computer.
As soon as the installation of the MetaTrader platform is complete, you can open it by clicking Launch MetaTrader, then clicking Finish.
Having difficulty logging in? Try our troubleshooting guide.
You have a few options for opening orders. Try them all to find the one that suits you.
To open a new order, you have three options:
- Click New Order in the toolbar.
- Click F9 on your keyboard.
- In the Market Watch window, right-click on the trading instrument you want to trade and click New order.
When the New Order window opens, you need to fill in the required fields:
- Symbol: Choose the trading instrument you want to trade from the drop down list. Please note that only the instruments that are currently in your Market Watch window will appear in the dropdown.
- Volume: Choose the lot size for your order. The minimum and maximum lot size depends on your account type. Click here to read more.
- Type: Choose either Market Execution or a Pending Order.
Reminder: If you want to place a pending order, you'll also need to select a type of pending order and the price you want the position to open at.
There are also a couple of optional fields:
- Stop Loss: a pending order set to minimise loss when the price is moving in an unprofitable direction.
- Take Profit: a pending order set to lock in profit when the price is moving in a profitable direction.
- Comment: a comment on your order.
When you’ve completed the fields, click Buy or Sell.
Did something go wrong? Try these tips: